the tentmaker

daily thoughts on the common lectionary

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sharpsburg, Georgia, United States

"...because he was of the same trade, he stayed with them, and they worked together — by trade they were tentmakers." Acts 18:3. Tentmaker is a title taken by bi-vocational pastors. As such, I am both a pastor and a project manager. I am a pastor of a local congregation of moderate, accepting and affirming people who worship in the Baptist tradition. We call our church "Hope Memorial Baptist" and we are about 40 in number. I am also a project manager of major construction projects for the State of Georgia. My home and church is in rural Coweta County, between Peachtree City and Newnan, with a mailing address of Sharpsburg, Georgia.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

More on the Gordion Knot

I wrote about a wedding I performed here.

Today I am performing the funeral for the husband. He died on Tuesday of lung cancer at the age of 43. Please pray for his wife, Cindy, and his eight brothers and sisters.

This makes about the tenth person I have buried with lung cancer from smoking. If you smoke, stop. Don't give me all your excuses, just stop, damn it! You don't want to die the horrible suffering unto death that awaits you if you get lung cancer.

2 Comments:

Blogger HeyJules said...

You tell 'em, Joel! I smoked for almost 17 years and one day I said "enough."

It was hard - more so emotionally than physically - but oh am I happy I did it! I no longer go to bed at night knowing that I am slowly killing myself.

I'll keep these people in my thoughts and prayers.

3/30/2006 12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen

So young - what a waste..

One very popular Christian Entertainer over here died of lung cancer some years - he had never smoked in his life but years of inhaling other peoples smoke while playing his trumpet gave it to him - and Christopher Reeve's wife too..

Hope Sandra is bearing up ok after your recent bereavement. Still praying for you both

3/31/2006 3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home