the tentmaker

daily thoughts on the common lectionary

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sharpsburg, Georgia, United States

"...because he was of the same trade, he stayed with them, and they worked together — by trade they were tentmakers." Acts 18:3. Tentmaker is a title taken by bi-vocational pastors. As such, I am both a pastor and a project manager. I am a pastor of a local congregation of moderate, accepting and affirming people who worship in the Baptist tradition. We call our church "Hope Memorial Baptist" and we are about 40 in number. I am also a project manager of major construction projects for the State of Georgia. My home and church is in rural Coweta County, between Peachtree City and Newnan, with a mailing address of Sharpsburg, Georgia.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Sunday 3/4/06 Year B - Lent 1

Genesis 9:8-17
Psalm 25:1-10
1 Peter 3:18-22
Mark 1:9-15
Notes:

In the Gospel passage, there are three paragraphs. In the first paragraph, Jesus is baptized by John in the Jordan river. It tells of the voice which came from heaven. Unlike the parallel passages in Matthew and Luke, Jesus is the only one to see the clouds split and hear the voice of God. The words of God, "You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased," is meant for Jesus' ears only. I take this as Jesus' call.

The second paragraph tells of Jesus being driven into the wilderness, not by the devil, but by the Spirit. Alone in the wilderness for forty days, Jesus goes through a discernment process. One can imagine his questions: "Father, what is it that you would have me do?" If I am to be the messiah, how will I go about it? What kind of messiah would you have me be? Matthew and Luke provide an alegorical story of the discernment process in the temtations of the devil. In many ways, these same temptations stare us in the face during our own discernment.

The third paragraph shows Jesus following his period of discernment coming out of the wilderness proclaiming the good news of God. "The time is fulfilled." "The Rule of God has come near you." "Repent, and believe in the good news."

Here we have in three short paragraphs the calling, the formation and the beginning of the ministry of our Lord. He is the standard. Our task, though it may be impossible, is to imulate Him in all that we do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home