the tentmaker

daily thoughts on the common lectionary

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sharpsburg, Georgia, United States

"...because he was of the same trade, he stayed with them, and they worked together — by trade they were tentmakers." Acts 18:3. Tentmaker is a title taken by bi-vocational pastors. As such, I am both a pastor and a project manager. I am a pastor of a local congregation of moderate, accepting and affirming people who worship in the Baptist tradition. We call our church "Hope Memorial Baptist" and we are about 40 in number. I am also a project manager of major construction projects for the State of Georgia. My home and church is in rural Coweta County, between Peachtree City and Newnan, with a mailing address of Sharpsburg, Georgia.

Sunday, August 28, 2005

September 4 - Year A - Proper 18

Matthew 18:15-20

This is a hard passage for me. I am not in favor of church discipline as practiced by my church 20 to 30 years ago. We have a history of a member bringing charges against another member and having them voted out of the church. After 90 days the excommunicate is allowed back into the church. He then proceeds to bring up on charges the member who brought him up. I'm happy to say this was before my pastorate here. But it is all in the minutes of the business meetings.

I will be studying this passage and reading what others have said about it all week. Stop back by later in the week to see how I am doing. If you can shed light on this passage for me, please feel fee to post in the comments.

1 Comments:

Blogger the tentmaker said...

At Kairos Comotion

Wesley White gives us this insight into this week's Gospel:

It is difficult to keep paying attention. Catching a glimpse of the dangers inside the community is particularly difficult. We huddle in individual households, we talk behind one another's backs, we let one another go so easily. Whether we talk first of forgiveness or freedom, we don't easily come to these until injury and slavery are well inflicted and institutionalized. May we be blessed with catching our distancing of one another early and persist in steadfast actions that acknowledge the presence of GOD, that catalyze freedom and forgiveness.

8/29/2005 5:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home