the tentmaker

daily thoughts on the common lectionary

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sharpsburg, Georgia, United States

"...because he was of the same trade, he stayed with them, and they worked together — by trade they were tentmakers." Acts 18:3. Tentmaker is a title taken by bi-vocational pastors. As such, I am both a pastor and a project manager. I am a pastor of a local congregation of moderate, accepting and affirming people who worship in the Baptist tradition. We call our church "Hope Memorial Baptist" and we are about 40 in number. I am also a project manager of major construction projects for the State of Georgia. My home and church is in rural Coweta County, between Peachtree City and Newnan, with a mailing address of Sharpsburg, Georgia.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

God on a Dirt Road Walking Toward Me

The first chapter in Donald Miller's NYT Best Seller.

In the very first paragraph, Miller, catches my attention and admiration:
...it seemed God was down a dirt road, walking toward me. Years ago He was a swinging speck in the distance; now He is close enough I can hear His singing. Soon I will see the lines on His face.
Most of the chapter is a reflection about his own father who left home when he was a little boy. This fact made it difficult for him to relate to God as "Father." Looking back at my early days, I don't remember having trouble relating to God as Father or Jesus as His Son. I grew up in a good stable home where there was a loving mother and strong reliable father. For me, God was the old man upstairs. But, I think I realized that he was spirit and lived inside me. I used to talk to God all the time. I talked to him like I talked to anyone. I was not afraid nor was I bashful about telling him all my thoughts. I didn't need to tell him all my sins, he already knew those. It seemed only natural to assume that he knew my every action.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tripp Hudgins said...

The Father image has never been a struggle for me either. But not for some predictable reasons. It's simply a way to talk about God...as are many of the other images that scripture gives us.

But, honestly, I was not baptized an infant, but there was not follow through. So, I did not inherit the baggage that Miller seems to have.

4/29/2008 8:55 PM  
Blogger Tripp Hudgins said...

Hey there. I've posted a third reflection and sent an e-mail to the congregation. We'll see who checks in to see what I'm thinking. I would love it if you could swing by and comment.

Also, you have been in my prayers. I too have been struggling with my brain of late. I have an appointment with my doctor next week. Yay.

God be merciful...

5/02/2008 7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home