the tentmaker

daily thoughts on the common lectionary

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sharpsburg, Georgia, United States

"...because he was of the same trade, he stayed with them, and they worked together — by trade they were tentmakers." Acts 18:3. Tentmaker is a title taken by bi-vocational pastors. As such, I am both a pastor and a project manager. I am a pastor of a local congregation of moderate, accepting and affirming people who worship in the Baptist tradition. We call our church "Hope Memorial Baptist" and we are about 40 in number. I am also a project manager of major construction projects for the State of Georgia. My home and church is in rural Coweta County, between Peachtree City and Newnan, with a mailing address of Sharpsburg, Georgia.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

I want to thank all of you for your concern and sweet words of advice. I am doing what I am called to do. But, I am weak and sometimes I need a pity party to compensate for my weakness. So, I must apologize to you and to my Lord for that bit of whining.

I have been in this pastorate for nearly eight years, I know what to expect. I have consciously taken on this responsibility. The membership is aging and dying off, one by one. The young people have abandoned the church for the larger, more contemporary churches that have sprung up on every street corner. I recognize that the church won't survive much longer. So, I will remain faithful to my calling and see them through to the bitter end.

As you may guess from the hours I put into my secular job, I do not depend on what the church can pay me to survive. That is good for them and it is good for me. We barely take in enough in offerings to pay the bills. Some months our expenses are greater than our receipts, but we have been able to break even for the past few years.

These are good people. This is the church they grew up in and they don't relate to other churches. So we will continue to live as a church for as long as they do.

Your prayers for this people, this community and this ministry are greatly needed and appreciated.

3 Comments:

Blogger net said...

It's OK! You are among friends who understand and who have been there. I praise God for your obedience to His calling and your faithfulness to your people. Be blessed!

2/22/2006 8:05 AM  
Blogger Jean said...

I'm a tentmaker, too. Our churches and vocation sound so similar. Blessings to you all!

2/22/2006 2:45 PM  
Blogger HeyJules said...

I think what you're doing - keeping this church alive for others to continue to enjoy - is truly a blessing.

I hope they see it as such, also.

2/22/2006 2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home