the tentmaker

daily thoughts on the common lectionary

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sharpsburg, Georgia, United States

"...because he was of the same trade, he stayed with them, and they worked together — by trade they were tentmakers." Acts 18:3. Tentmaker is a title taken by bi-vocational pastors. As such, I am both a pastor and a project manager. I am a pastor of a local congregation of moderate, accepting and affirming people who worship in the Baptist tradition. We call our church "Hope Memorial Baptist" and we are about 40 in number. I am also a project manager of major construction projects for the State of Georgia. My home and church is in rural Coweta County, between Peachtree City and Newnan, with a mailing address of Sharpsburg, Georgia.

Sunday, November 27, 2005

The Law Is the Law

I received the following email that seems to be traveling around the web, perhaps you did too:

This is one of the better e-mails I have received in a long time! I hope this makes its way around the USA several times over!!!!!

So Be It!

THE LAW IS THE LAW

So if the US government determines that it is against the law for the words "under God" to be on our money, then, so be it.

And if that same government decides that the "Ten Commandments" are not to be used in or on a government installation, then, so be it.

I say, "so be it," because I would like to be a law abiding US citizen.

I say, "so be it," ! because I would like to think that smarter people than I are in positions to make good decisions.

I would like to think that those people have the American public's best interests at heart.

BUT, YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE I'D LIKE?

Since we can't pray to God, can't Trust in God and cannot post His Commandments in Government buildings, I don't believe the Government and its employees should participate in the Easter and Christmas celebrations which honor the God that our government is eliminating from many facets of American life.
I'd like my mail delivered on Christmas, Good Friday, Thanksgiving & Easter. After all, it's just another day.

I'd like the US Supreme Court to be in session on Christmas, Good Friday, Thanksgiving & Easter as well as Sundays. After all, it's just another day.
I'd like the Senate and the House of Representatives to not have to worry about getting home for the "Christmas Break." After all it's just another day.

I'm thinking that a lot of my taxpayer dollars could be saved, if all government offices & services would work on Christmas, Good Friday & Easter. It shouldn't cost any overtime! since those would be just like any other day of the week to a government that is trying to be "politically correct."

In fact....

I think that our government should work on Sundays (initially set aside for worshipping God...) because, after all, our government says that it should be just another day....

What do you all think????

If this idea gets to enough people, maybe our elected officials will stop giving in to the minority opinions and begin, once again, to represent the 'majority' of ALL of the American people.

SO BE IT........

Please Dear Lord,
Give us the help needed to keep you in our country!


My Response:

I agree with the first part of this email down to the statment "BUT, YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE I'D LIKE?"

But, here is where I diverge from the ‘rest of the story.’ You see, I don’t need my money to remind me that I believe in God, that remembrance is always in my heart. And I don’t need my children to pray, read the bible or study biblical concepts in public school, because I teach them those values at home. For me, worship and love of God begins at home. Because it begins at home, I take them to church to worship publicly. I don’t expect them to rely on signs in the courthouse or in the public square to remind them that God is Love.

And I don’t expect to take my angry feelings and frustrations out on the employees of the state and federal governments because the makers of the laws don’t happen to agree with my own religious beliefs. Postal workers and others who serve us by working for the government and providing the services that we complain about not being adequate, are individuals with their own religious beliefs. Would you deny the postman or school teacher a chance to spend Christmas with their family because your money doesn’t say “In God we trust”? Come on. Where is the Love of Christ in that?

I think it’s time for us to stop expecting our government to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ and start doing OUR part to spread His word by living according to His teachings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home